3 Treatment Options for Eardrum Perforation

Doctor checking the ear of the patientThe thin tissue, which separates your middle and inner ear, is known as the eardrum. It protects your inner ear and vibrates in response to sound waves. This membrane is, however, can be at risk of rupture due to trauma, infections, pressure changes, loud noise, and foreign objects.

Some cases of eardrum rupture heal over several weeks. Other cases, however, require specialized ENT treatments, according to Peak ENT and Voice Center in Colorado. And fortunately, this ear condition can be treated in many different ways, such as:


If your eardrum rupture is a result of infection, antibiotics will be the first course of treatment. These antibiotics may be in the form of medicated ear drops or oral drugs and sometimes both. In addition to healing your perforated eardrum, antibiotics prevent the occurrence of new infections.


With patching, the doctor cauterizes the edges of your perforated eardrum using a chemical. The tear is then covered using a paper patch or a fat plug. The chemical covered by the patch stimulates the re-growth of your eardrum. Patching may be repeated for a few times before the hole in the eardrum closes.


If patching does not resolve your perforation, the doctor might suggest a surgical procedure known as a tympanoplasty. In this treatment, some tissue is harvested from another part of your body and used to seal the hole in your eardrum. Tympanoplasty is typically an outpatient procedure, but you might require admission if there are some medical anesthesia issues.

Most people ignore a perforated eardrum thinking it will go away or try several home remedies that typically worsen their condition. Remember, a perforated eardrum might lead to severe ear infections, development of cysts, and eventual hearing loss. Any pus-like ear discharge, sudden pain, ringing in the ears, or spinning sensation might indicate eardrum perforation. If you notice any of these symptoms, it is best to get your ears checked by an ENT specialist to see which of the above treatments will work best for you.